October did that thing it does. Daylight starts making the darkness come later in the hour in the clock. I’d been at work all day, not just working but bleeding into it, the kind of day where a product isn’t a product, it’s a living thing you shove out into the world and pray it survives.
Go-Live day.
For me, though I have seen many go-lives, deploying hundreds of stacks pushing the buttons myself still that word alone carries heat. The sweat. The watching. There were endless tiny alarms going off inside my head. How to execute plan A, what is plan B? Should I have thought about plan C? When should I call it off for rollback? How far we can push? We had issues. Multiple, layered. But I know we are made for it. We are built for it. We are trained for it. We didn’t fold. We won’t fold. That’s not in our DNA. We fixed, pushed and we held the line. However, that is not the story I want to tell today.
My story started when I left.
I got to the train with that particular kind of exhaustion after a long day. eyes sore, legs heavy, patience exhausted. My body moved on mechanically. When I board a train, I always look for a seat facing the direction the train moves. Something about it feels like dignity. Like if I’m going forward, at least I’m facing it.
The train slowed into the station, metal sighing, doors breathing open. I saw it immediately. The seat. Perfect. A small square of quiet. Sixty-eight minutes of being nobody’s problem. Sixty eight minutes of zen mode.
I stepped toward it and out of nowhere a middle-aged man with a bag of chips in his hand cut past me and slid into it like it had his name stamped on the fabric.
Just like that. Done.
Normally, I’d shrug. Seats aren’t sacred. People are just people. But that day I had nothing left to donate to strangers. My whole system was raw and tired. So the annoyance rose, quick and hot, before I could filter it into maturity.
I took a deep breath and looked for another option.
The only seat left was opposite him.
Of course it was.
I sat, annoyed at him, annoyed at myself for being annoyed, annoyed at the universe for being petty with its timing.
The train pulled away and he started eating.
Not quietly. Not politely. Loud, grinding, wet mouth crunching that felt like somebody dragging sandpaper across my nerves. Karuk. Kiruk. Karuk. The chips weren’t even the problem. It was the entitlement of the sound. The way he took up space with his mouth.
I stared at my knees and tried to be decent. Be a gentleman , I told myself. Let it go. But my body didn’t want philosophy. My body wanted silence.
Then I heard coughing.
There was a girl diagonally opposite us, young, folded slightly forward, coughing like her chest was a damn wall and her lungs were trying to break it open. At first it was just a cough. Then it got heavy. Relentless. Lok. Lok. Lok. Like the train had picked two loudest instruments and decided to play them right inside my skull.
And I thought, with a kind of bitter honesty. I am mean.
Not evil. Just mean in the way tired people get. Mean in the way you get when your own life has wrung you out and punished you with public transport.
I considered getting off, waiting for the next train. But there’s a trade off in standing on a platform for twenty minutes when you know you’re already empty. So I stayed. I tried to disappear calmly in my own world.
And then the man opposite me crossed a line I didn’t know existed.
His fingers were stained with chip dust. orange, greasy, sharp-smelling and he started licking them one by one. Slow. Thorough. Like each fingertip held the last good thing of the chips packet.
I looked away, disgusted, and when I looked back to add to my shock
He pulled out his little finger and put it into his left nostril.
No shame. No subtlety. Just… commitment. Like he was cleaning a weapon.
My stomach tightened. I wanted to stand. I wanted to move. But manners, those stupid, rigid social rules all that has been taught to me to not hurt others even when I don’t like kept me planted. I didn’t want him to notice my disgust. I didn’t want a scene. So I did what people do when they can’t escape a situation. I reached for my phone and pretended it was a monetary door to escape.
I checked my Slack. Refresh. Nothing.
Outlook. Nothing.
Teams. Nothing.
WhatsApp. Nothing.
I kept opening apps like a man shaking a vending machine, hoping something would drop. Nothing. No one needed me now. No one was waiting. The adrenaline from work had evaporated and left the emptiness behind.
I checked messages from my wife.
Nothing.
She was out with my boys, living a whole bright evening that didn’t include me or this train or this man’s finger. For a second I felt that cold, childish sting. Oh. So it’s just me then. Me and the carriage and the noise and the smell of salt and grease.
I opened Facebook to find a poem from my favorite poet, He hadn’t posted in two days.
I was alone in a train full of people.
Then the girl’s coughing changed.
It wasn’t just coughing anymore. It became urgent, violent, like her body was trying to get rid of something it couldn’t name. She hunched forward, shaking. There was a moment. just one where everything held its breath.
And then she vomited.
A loud, sudden spill of sickness that woke the whole carriage . The smell hit fast. acid and shame and the human body refusing to keep a secret. People flinched. Someone gasped. Heads turned in unison, an ugly synchronized curiosity.
The girl froze, eyes wide, and then tears came, immediate and helpless. Not because she was sick but because she was seen. Because there are few humiliations as pure as losing control of your body in public.
Everybody watched.
And then the man opposite me stood up.
The same man I’d been cursing. The chip licker. The nostril cleaner.
He moved fast, like instinct. He reached into his pocket, pulled out tissues, and slid into the seat beside her as if he belonged there. Not standing over her like a judge. Sitting down, close, solid, making himself a wall between her and the staring.
“It’s okay,” he told her, voice calm. “It’s okay. Anyone can get sick. It happens. It’s out of your control.”
He handed her tissues. Someone offered water. he took it, passed it to her. He spoke gently, not loud enough for the whole train but just enough for her to hear. Just enough to shrink the humiliation into something bearable.
She wiped her mouth, trembling. She cleaned what she could with shaking hands. She kept saying “sorry” like she’d committed a crime. He kept saying “no, no, you’re fine,” like he’d done this before, like he’d been raised by someone who taught him that embarrassment is not a reason to abandon a person.
Three stations later she got off, head down, still crying. But before she left, she looked back and whispered “thank you,” and the man nodded like it was nothing. Like kindness wasn’t a performance. Like it was just the next best action.
After she left, he didn’t go back to his seat right away. He stayed alert. And every time new people boarded, every time someone eyed that empty spot, he warned them.
“Don’t sit there,” he’d say. “Someone got sick. There’s residue.”
Some people recoiled. Some made faces. Some nodded and moved on. He didn’t care. He kept doing it.
When his stop came, he stood and looked at me. “Can you keep telling people until your station?” he asked, simple as that. “Just so nobody sits there by accident.”
My brain went straight to efficiency. I pulled out a sticky note and wrote, DO NOT SIT. VOMIT. Big letters, blunt truth. I nearly stood up to slap it onto the seat like a warning label on a broken machine.
And then something in me cracked open.
Not pity but something cleaner. Something heavier.
Compassion and kindness doesn’t always arrive in a body you approve of. Sometimes it comes wearing habits that disgust you. Sometimes it comes with greasy fingers and loud chewing and terrible manners and still, when it matters, it moves first.
I stared at the sticky note.
Then I tore it.
I put it away and started speaking to people instead, one by one. Human voice to human ear. No sign to hide behind.
“Hey, don’t sit there,” I’d say, and meet their eyes. “Someone was sick earlier.”
A woman nodded and stepped aside. A kid wrinkled his nose and moved. A man thanked me. Small exchanges, tiny threads woven across strangers.
By the time my station came, I was still tired and still the same exhausted person I’d been when I got on. But something had shifted. Not the world. Me.
As I stood, an old man who’d watched me for a while leaned over and said, “Good on you, sir.”
I paused.
He smiled. “I’ll keep telling people until I get off. I’ll pass it on.”
And it hit me. this quiet relay, passed hand to hand with no applause. A chain made of ordinary people choosing human compassion and care when they could have chosen silence.
That was the second win of my day.
The first was surviving the go live issues and shipping the thing we built.
The second was becoming, for a handful of stops, a small link in the kindness chain and learning the hard way that humans are messy and still worth showing up for.
That night, I got into bed at 9:55 PM, the room dark, the day still buzzing under my skin. And I knew for sure that I slipped into deep peaceful sleep by 9:56 PM.

Comments
Post a Comment